Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Yayyy!

Today is Independence Day in Guatemala and the Latinos all left this morning so we get a little extra email time since there aren't as many missionaries here who need to use the computers.

Tonight the new wave of North American come in the from Provo MTC. I think there are around 30 so it will be the biggest group of North American they've ever had here. The new Latinos will start arriving tomorrow, and they're going to be one of the smallest groups of Latinos they've ever had here.

It's weird to be ¨los viejos¨ or the old ones now. And we're going to have to try harder to speak Spanish amongst ourselves since there will be so many americans.

Time is going by fast and slow at the same time.

Divisions last Wednesday were an interesting experience. My companion was from Belize and I looooved her-she spoke English with a sweet accent and Creole and Spanish. I could tell she had a very strong testimony and she was very fun and welcoming but she has only been out for two months so she's still learning a lot too. She taught me a lot about the culture of the people here and how to be safer on the streets. Buuut, I feel like we could've worked a little harder. We had 4 or 5 appointments and most of them were with members. We knocked a few doors in between but no one ever came to the door even though we could hear them inside. I contacted someone on the bus, but I'm still learning how to gain people's trust and be their friend but also share a gospel message in 2-5 minutes--It's hard.

I definitely need to try to talk to more people. My companion didn't really talk to people on the street and I just followed her lead but I should have just talked to people anyway. Next time I will be better :)

Some random things I've been meaning to tell you all before I forget:

1. Dear Elder works here but they print it out in Provo and then mail it so it takes about 5 or so days to get here

2. Today I got the present from Mom and Dad that Cassie mailed here-Thank you!!

3. You'll be very surprised to hear that I have now sung twice in front of groups of 70-100 people with 5 other girls. We sang How Great Thou Art for our branch in the Provo MTC and then the same song again for a devotional with the area president here. Sweet huh? I looove the last verse of that song-if you are ever feeling bummed go sing it or read it (and the whole song actually, it's amazing)

Hmmm what else...Yesterday we went to this giant church-owned park called Las Colinas and got to play games and hike and spend time writing in our journals on our last day with the viejos and the latinos. It was really fun and the land is beautiful. We also served for a while bringing giant firewood logs up this huge hill. It was cool because there were so many of us (almost 90) that we just formed a huge line and passed them up the hill. I wish I would've gotten a picture of it. Afterwards my companion and I talked about how it reminded us of the scripture in Moses 7:18 where ¨the Lord called his people Zion because they were of one heart and one mind.¨

We also watched the Joseph Smith movie last night. I've seen it 6 or 7 times already but I always love it and I always learn more or notice new things. Joseph Smith went through so many trials but he always remained faithful--it's incredible. I think the theme I've been learning about the most this week is about trials and how, in the words of Elder Holland, ¨salvation is NOT a cheap experience.¨ I knew that already, but this week it's really hit home to me. I knew that Joseph Smith and the early saints had a lot of really hard trials but I always sort of thought that was over. And in a way it is, but we are all going to have other trials that may be just as hard in their own way. They're going to be hard, but they're also necessary experiences that will help us learn and grow. I know that through Christ and his atonement we can overcome them and then the Lord will ¨consecrate our afflictions for our gain.¨ ( I can't remember where that reference is right now but it's in the beginning of the Book of Mormon when Lehi is talking to Jacob)

Even though Joseph's story seems incredible and crazy sometimes, I know it's true. I know that all through his life and death he worked to restore the gospel of Jesus Christ to this earth today. Shall we not go on in so great a cause?

Well I'm out of time but I love you all, talk to you again soon!!

Love,

Hermana Dance

(2 Corinthians12:9-10) we can glory in our infirmities and be made strong in Christ

No comments:

Post a Comment