Monday, February 21, 2011

The last one

Hey family,



This is the last time I'm going to write you all, but I just wanted to share some things I've learned on the mission/my testimony. Things I've learned:



1. How to recognize and follow the Spirit. Before I didn't really know what that felt like and always felt confused when after church meetings people would walk out saying "Man, the Spirit was so strong today, I could just feel it." In my head I would just think "Spirit, what Spirit!? I don't feel anything!?" I think I'd been so dependent on physical feelings/sensations while growing up that I didn't learn how to pay attention to spiritual sensations. Hope that makes sense...

2. A greater love and appreciation for my family, for the home I grew up in and the things my parents taught me

3. The ability to recognize the difference between a home established firmly in the gospel and a home without it. Even the house feels different, and it seems so clear: "Uh duhhhh, if you would just start living the commandments everything would get better."

4. The ability to really listen to people, to read them, and to know their needs/how they are without them having to tell me

5.A greater knowledge and understanding of the gospel principles

6. The ability to plan and prioritize my life according to eternal priorities

7. Feel and experience the pure love of Christ for people I have just met or don't even really know



So many more but that's what comes to mind first. I remember my roommate Sarah M used to say that if she wouldn't have gone on a mission, she doesn't know how long it would've taken her to learn the things she did. At the time I just thought "What things!? I wanna learn them too!" And now I can say the same. Maybe I didn't learn the same things she did, but I learned what I needed to, and I have no idea how long it would've taken me if I wouldn't have decided to come on a mission. If I would've known all the blessings and everything I was going to learn and receive in coming on the mission, I never would've doubted the decision. About 8 months ago dad mentioned a scripture in Doc & C 78:17-18 in one of the talks he sent me, and since then it's been one of my favorites because I've found it to be so true:



17 Verily, verily, I say unto you, ye are little children, and ye have not as yet understood how great blessings the Father hath in his own hands and prepared for you;

18 And ye cannot bear all things now; nevertheless, be of good cheer, for I will lead you along. The kingdom is yours and the blessings thereof are yours, and the riches of eternity are yours.

Welp I'm almost out of time, but I guess I will just finish by saying that I know this is the true church of Jesus Christ, restored by the prophet Joseph Smith. I know the Book of Mormon is true and when we read it every day it's a guide, a protection, a comfort, and a strenght for us in our every day lives. I know God loves us and that He does everything He can to help us learn and grow and be successful in this life so that we can one day come back to Him. This knowledge is the greatest gift I have to share with people, and I hope to keep doing in when I come home...



I love you all and I can't wait to see you!



Love,

Hermana Dance

No comments:

Post a Comment